Skip to main content

Building Rubrics

If there is one thing building a unit has taught me, it's that the seemingly easy things can take a long time for a perfectionist (i.e. me). Finding a rubric is perhaps the strongest example of this, considering I have spent way more time on this than should have been necessary, even though I had initially counted it as a simple 30-minute undertaking.

In my research, I found a lot of rubrics that I thought were okay, none that I thought were truly awful, none I found perfect, and, of course, none that fit my unit. As a jumping off point, I decided to look at rubrics for essays. As an aspiring English teacher, I figure essays will be an unavoidable part of each and all of my classes. Along the way, I also found the Teachers Pay Teachers website, which will likely see a lot of use from me. Even if you're not looking to buy resources, it can be a great source of ideas and inspiration (and some free stuff, as well).

The first rubric I found had some positive aspects but was not one I would use. It was succinct, able to fit on a single page, and had a clear escalation from 1 to 3 points. I especially appreciated that this rubric had a column for feedback. There are negative aspects as well, which would need to be remedied before I would consider emulating the rubric. The categories, while clear in their expectations, are not clearly connected to any standards. The requirements for each category, while having a clear escalation, do not all seem easily measurable. I could see how the summary and characterization charts might be quantifiable, but the favorite character write-up seems entirely subjective. I believe student work should be judged by its effectiveness rather than arbitrary numbers, but if the work is to be given a grade (which is, itself, a numerical value), there must be some way to quantify the effectiveness. 

I did find a rubric for an argumentative essay that I felt was mostly well built. I appreciate how this rubric characterizes the levels of meeting the standard, with the exception of "inadequate." If I were to use this rubric, I would want to combine the 1 and 2 point columns, both to make it fit a 1-4 scale and to eliminate the label of "inadequate." In the place of this column, I might put a feedback column, as was featured in the previous rubric.
This rubric conforms very closely to the standards without simply copying and pasting the standards, a balance I've struggled with a bit myself. The creator of the rubric did put the standards on the back of this rubric, making them accessible to the students. Each category has a heading, making it clear what is important, and includes a description of what this means. While this does make the rubric a bit wordy, this can be a benefit as much as a drawback. Students may not want to read a rubric with so many words, but those that do understand the clear expectations for the assignment. A wordy rubric also helps the teacher while grading, as he or she can underline the relevant level of proficiency the student met.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Resources

For the last three weeks of radio silence, I've been in the field, teaching sixth graders in my local school district. It has been an awesomely meaningful experience, as tiring as seven hours of eleven-year-olds can be. During this time, the students have been my focus and I have spent a lot of my time outside of the classroom reflecting on the occurrences of the day. Although I only completed eight days in the field, I learned a lot about the realities of teaching. My cooperating teacher has been a wealth of information, and our teaching styles are very similar. Nonetheless, I have also been exploring online resources to improve the teaching I have been doing. As a part of an assignment in which my classmates and I reached out to our former teachers, we requested resources from these educators. Many of these were useful in informing issues I ran into while in the field. Emily at Teacher, Teach Me How to Teach!  recommended Edutopia , a website bursting with information and advic