Skip to main content

Books Are Stairs



There are many beliefs I have surrounding English and teaching, but perhaps the one I've held the longest is the importance of reading. Many of my fond childhood memories include reading or books in some form: my father reading to me and my sisters as children, my older sister trying to teach me how to read when she came home from kindergarten, the many book clubs I have been a part of, my volunteer position at my local library, and many more experiences.

Adventure, courage, and wisdom are only some of the many things people can gain from books. Likewise, books are only one source of gaining these things. While books are an obvious and abundant source, I see all media as a potential source of information or experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of The Line...

The Fall 2018 session of practicum is reaching a close. This means saying goodbye (for now) to our professors, our classmates, and our students. To reflect on my semester, I created a video about my experience and what I've learned. (Because if a picture's worth a thousand words, imagine what a video is worth.*) You can view the video here:  https://www.powtoon.com/online-presentation/c3QYXPMBmUd/?mode=movie#/ *Also because it was a required part of the assignment; not gonna lie.

Teacher Resources

For the last three weeks of radio silence, I've been in the field, teaching sixth graders in my local school district. It has been an awesomely meaningful experience, as tiring as seven hours of eleven-year-olds can be. During this time, the students have been my focus and I have spent a lot of my time outside of the classroom reflecting on the occurrences of the day. Although I only completed eight days in the field, I learned a lot about the realities of teaching. My cooperating teacher has been a wealth of information, and our teaching styles are very similar. Nonetheless, I have also been exploring online resources to improve the teaching I have been doing. As a part of an assignment in which my classmates and I reached out to our former teachers, we requested resources from these educators. Many of these were useful in informing issues I ran into while in the field. Emily at Teacher, Teach Me How to Teach!  recommended Edutopia , a website bursting with information and advic...

Padlet, Smithsonian, and MoMA

For those of you that don't know, I am currently building a unit for an English literature class for the first time. There are a lot of things I am trying to take into consideration with it, so I'm constantly altering in little (or big) ways. Right now, I'm pretty confident in my unit sketch, which encompasses a number of standards and learning experiences. For the purposes of my classes, I have focused primarily on three major assessments for the unit. Recently, I made a Padlet to express these assessments using images of displays from MoMA and Smithsonian . I approached this as an opportunity to test out Padlet as a potential technology to use in the classroom and I certainly did learn about the program. I was surprised by the MoMA and Smithsonian websites, though. These websites are very well-curated and are a hidden gem of a resource. The display can be used in a way similar to how I used them in this Padlet, as writing prompts, or for a multitude of other uses in an...